Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeRegisterLatest imagesSearchLog in

Carrying illegal drugs

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
BrittanyLeach

BrittanyLeach

Carrying illegal drugs Empty
PostSubject: Carrying illegal drugs   Carrying illegal drugs I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 8:06 am

Sibyl carries Pitocin and Ergotrate in case of emergencies during labor. For a lay practitioner to do so is illegal, "but," as Connie states, "every midwife carried them. My mother wasn't unique" [p. 64]. How does this affect midwifery's position as a natural way of delivery? Does the fact that every midwife does so make it all right, or should use of these drugs be limited, as the law prescribes, to licensed doctors and nurses?

I don't think the drugs make it any less natural. Women have been having babies since the dawn of humanity. These drugs are just to help cut down on the amount of losses in lives that comes with natural delivery.

I don't think they should be illegal. Instead they should have midwives licensed to carry the drugs. That way midwives who are unfit to use it can't but ones who are will have it in case of an emergency.

Agree/Disagree?
Back to top Go down
tiffwest

PostSubject: Re: Carrying illegal drugs   Carrying illegal drugs I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 4:07 am

i wonder how she came 2 get these drugs in the first place. if they are illeagle to have any way doesnt that mean she had to get it from a doctor. The doctor who gave her the drugs shold be held accountable for that also. Im not sure that midwifery is so much about natural birth. i believe it is more about a womans right to have there baby where they choose instead of being forced to have there baby in a hospital. Some women like to be in controll of there surroundings and for them having a baby at home is on way that they can take a situation that is beyond ther controll and give them some sense of power with it . So I personaly dont think that midwives are all for the natural way i just think that they want to offer chpoics.
Back to top Go down
BrittanyLeach

BrittanyLeach

PostSubject: Re: Carrying illegal drugs   Carrying illegal drugs I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 11:00 am

That is a very good point. I didn't think of that. Go Tiff!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carrying illegal drugs   Carrying illegal drugs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Carrying illegal drugs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Midwives' Discussion :: Discussion Chapters 4 - 5-
Jump to: